We know… You’re trying to save money, and a new hood for your beloved convertible car is not the cheapest of things. And then you add on the cost of getting it fitted!
It’s a story we are all too familiar with. There are plenty of tips and tricks on the Internet on how to fit your own car hood, just as there are plenty of companies you can buy a car hood from with the view to fitting it yourself. On the face of it, you have saved some money and you have the instructions at your fingertips.
Not so. As professional car hood fitters, with years of experience, we have seen the pitfalls of trying to fit a car hood yourself. We don’t supply just a car hood to retail customers precisely because we know how hard it is to fit a car hood, if you don’t know what you are doing. So if you are thinking about taking this route, we encourage you to think again.
And here are FIVE reasons why you should never try to fit a car hood yourself:
1. You could inadvertently cause further damage to your beloved convertible. Because step one – you have to take the damaged or old hood off. This is a job in itself!
2. You absolutely need the right tools and the right adhesives to make the job work. These are not easily available and if you do manage to get hold of the right stuff you might not use it correctly.
3. Lost fixings can put a scupper on the whole thing. When taking off your old or damaged car hood it’s so easy to misplace or lose the tiny, fiddly fixings used. If you do lose a fixing or two, and especially with older cars, you may not be able to replace them and bingo! You have no hood to fit and no car to drive.
4. There are no guarantees when you try to fit your own hood. You do a bad job and that’s your bad luck. If you get your convertible hood fitted by experts, with experience, not only do you get peace of mind that they will do a great job (and pretty quickly too) but with us you get a warranty as well.
5. Some hoods are more complicated than others. As experts , we can fit most makes of hoods in a few hours, some as quick as three. That’s with all the years of experience we have. Some do take a bit longer but one thing we can guarantee – it will take you MUCH MUCH more time than a few hours to fit your own hood. Instead of spending half a day or so in our car hood warehouse, your soft top could be off the road for days or even weeks (especially if you get into a fix).
Or one more thing (we know we said FIVE reasons but this one is a goodie), when all is said and done and you factor in the time it could take, the potential damage you could cause and potential lost parts meaning no hood at all, you really should never fit a car hood yourself.
At Car Hood Warehouse, our prices are for the supply and fit of your new convertible hood. Even then we are very competitive and on top of that you get a warranty on your hood and the best customer service in the industry!
If you fancy a chat about getting your new car hood fitted, then just give us a call on 020 8391 5324 or 5326. We are a friendly team, who want to help fill the world with one beautiful car hood at a time.
There’s nothing like driving along with the top down in the beautiful sunshine on a warm summer’s day. After all, that’s what convertibles were made for!
But what about when the sun goes away, the temperature drops and the rain, wind and even snow hit? Not only do we all feel the effects of Winter but so does your soft top! And that’s why it’s important to keep a check on your car hood regularly to prevent any long-term damage.
Our top tips are:
- If you are fitting a hard top make sure the soft top is completely dry before folding it away.
- Avoid long periods of inactivity of the mechanism as this can cause the frame to seize. So just get your top down as often as you can. 🙂
- Keep vinyl soft tops clean with a soft damp cloth and diluted mild detergent, such as washing up liquid.
- If you have a mohair soft top then use a soft clothes brush to remove the dust and a damp (lint-free) cloth diluted mild detergent, such as washing up liquid to remove any stains.
- Condensation inside the car at this time of year is very common with convertibles. We recommend you remove any water with a dry cloth and put the heater on regularly. In the warmer months get your car dry as much as possible by opening the soft top and enjoy!
If your soft top needs a bit of TLC this Winter or you think it’s time for a new one please get in touch and we will be happy to give you any advice. You can see the makes of car that we supply car hoods for here.
Buying a new car is an exciting yet often stressful process. Will you make the right choice? Will you get the best deal? Will you end up with a lemon?
There are some standard car buying tips that every motoring website worth its salt should have somewhere in its blog archives. But when buying a convertible there is one extra thing you need to think about: the hood.
So, if you’ve never bought a convertible before, here are a few practical tips to consider when choosing your next car…
1. Take a good look at the overall condition of the car.
Sounds simple but you’ll get a really good feel for how this car has been cared for and that will include the hood.
2. Inspect the outside of the hood.
Look for any fading, wear, creases, mould spots or anything that doesn’t look quite. If you see any sagging or bulging then you might have a problem
3. Take a look (and a smell) inside the car.
Again look for anything that signifies a problem or lack of care.
One key sign that a convertible hasn’t been taken care of is how it smells when you’re sitting in the driving seat (and the roof is up). Even a faint whiff of mustiness or mildew so have your alarm bells sounding off like crazy! Whatever reason you may be given this smell is a no no.
4. Get the roof working.
Again sounds obvious but you really need to see that roof go up and down a good few times to make sure the mechanism is working and more importantly consistent and fault free. Any issues with this process should make you want to walk away.
5. Trust your instinct and listen to your head.
If something feels off then it probably is and you’ll want to give that particular a miss. Even if you have fallen in love with the specimen in front of you, don’t be ruled by your heart or your wallet might never forgive you. Have a think – go away and come back if needs be – but don’t get swept away by convertible fever.
Here’s an extra tip for free…
If you have decided on the make and model of your next convertible, do some research on common problems (or ask your friendly car hood experts if they know of any) before you go buying.
Oh and if you do happen to get over-excited and find you have a hood with a problem, it’s not the end of the world because you can always ask us for help.
If you would like to know more about our car hoods, our fitting service or would like to take a look round our premises then please get in touch on 0208 391 5324/5326 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take great pride in what we do and the hoods we produce and fit for our customers.
So much so, that we want you to be able to enjoy your new convertible roof for as long as possible. Here are our top tips for taking good care of your new hood:
- NEVER leave your soft top down when wet – your hood will get mouldy and shrinkage could occur. Always store you car with the hood up.
- Keep your new soft top in the CLOSED/UP position for a minimum of two days in the warmer months and five days in the colder months to allow the material to stretch to the correct tension.
- NEVER use a jet wash/car wash to clean the soft top – it could damage the fabric.
- Make sure you activate your car hood mechanism regularly so that the frame doesn’t seize.
- Clean vinyl tops with a soft damp cloth using diluted mild detergent such as washing up liquid.
- Clean mohair tops with a soft clothes brush to remove the dust and use a damp cloth diluted mild detergent such as washing up liquid to remove stains.
If you would like to know more about our car hoods or how to take care of yours then please get in touch on 0208 391 5324 or email us on email@example.com.
As the UK’s leading manufacturer, supplier and fitter of car hoods we cater to a wide range of vehicle makes and models, including the Honda S2000.
Here are some facts about our Honda S2000 hood and fitting service:
- The Honda S2000 hoods are available in vinyl and mohair with a plastic or heated glass rear window.
- Prices start from £565 supplied and fitted.
- The hoods with glass rear windows are manufactured by Robbins Auto Tops in America and come with a lifetime guarantee on the bonding of the rear glass.
- Ours is the best aftermarket hood available for the S2000.
- We can fit this model on a mobile fitting basis in South East England.
- We can fit this hood in 4 hours.
- It’s one of our most popular convertible hoods.
We currently have a special offer on our Honda S2000 hoods: click here to find out more.
If you would like to know more about our car hoods, our fitting service or would like to take a look round our premise then please get in touch on 0208 391 5324 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Having been in the car hood manufacturing, supplying and fitting business for over 20 years, we have pretty much seen it all and sorted out a high variety of convertible roof problems.
Aside from wear & tear or accidents, one of the biggest issues we hear about from our customers is their previous experiences with other car hood companies.
So we have some really simple advice for anyone considering or needing to replace their car hood:
1. Never buy from a company who doesn’t offer a fitting service.
Fitting a car hood is not easy – no matter how many pages of “simple to do” instructions your supplier is going to give you.
Many of our customers come to us with this exact problem – they thought they were saving money by fitting it themselves and then find out it’s not as simple as they thought.
We’ve been fitting car hoods every day for over 20 years – there’s not much we don’t know. Plus we take great pride in what we do and making sure our customers are completely satisfied.
2. Make sure you have the option to visit the car hood supplier’s premises and view your new hood prior to buying it.
This does two things for you. One you can see exactly what you are buying and, two, you can see exactly who you are buying it from.
Any company that doesn’t have proper fitting premises that you are welcome to visit should be avoided. We encourage our customers to visit us and see where we make and fit our car hoods. Of course, there’s also our customer room, where you can wait in comfort while we fit you chosen car hood. We even give you free wifi while you’re here.
3. Make sure the hood comes with a guarantee.
It’s simple. If your new convertible hood doesn’t come with a guarantee – don’t buy it. We offer a no quibble, 12-month guarantee on all of our fitted hoods, so you can buy in confidence.
If you would like to know more about our hoods, our fitting service or would like to take a look round our premises then please get in touch on 0208 391 5324 or email us on email@example.com.