We know… You’re trying to save money, and a new hood for your beloved convertible car is not the cheapest of things. And then you add on the cost of getting it fitted!
It’s a story we are all too familiar with. There are plenty of tips and tricks on the Internet on how to fit your own car hood, just as there are plenty of companies you can buy a car hood from with the view to fitting it yourself. On the face of it, you have saved some money and you have the instructions at your fingertips.
Not so. As professional car hood fitters, with years of experience, we have seen the pitfalls of trying to fit a car hood yourself. We don’t supply just a car hood to retail customers precisely because we know how hard it is to fit a car hood, if you don’t know what you are doing. So if you are thinking about taking this route, we encourage you to think again.
And here are FIVE reasons why you should never try to fit a car hood yourself:
1. You could inadvertently cause further damage to your beloved convertible. Because step one – you have to take the damaged or old hood off. This is a job in itself!
2. You absolutely need the right tools and the right adhesives to make the job work. These are not easily available and if you do manage to get hold of the right stuff you might not use it correctly.
3. Lost fixings can put a scupper on the whole thing. When taking off your old or damaged car hood it’s so easy to misplace or lose the tiny, fiddly fixings used. If you do lose a fixing or two, and especially with older cars, you may not be able to replace them and bingo! You have no hood to fit and no car to drive.
4. There are no guarantees when you try to fit your own hood. You do a bad job and that’s your bad luck. If you get your convertible hood fitted by experts, with experience, not only do you get peace of mind that they will do a great job (and pretty quickly too) but with us you get a warranty as well.
5. Some hoods are more complicated than others. As experts , we can fit most makes of hoods in a few hours, some as quick as three. That’s with all the years of experience we have. Some do take a bit longer but one thing we can guarantee – it will take you MUCH MUCH more time than a few hours to fit your own hood. Instead of spending half a day or so in our car hood warehouse, your soft top could be off the road for days or even weeks (especially if you get into a fix).
Or one more thing (we know we said FIVE reasons but this one is a goodie), when all is said and done and you factor in the time it could take, the potential damage you could cause and potential lost parts meaning no hood at all, you really should never fit a car hood yourself.
At Car Hood Warehouse, our prices are for the supply and fit of your new convertible hood. Even then we are very competitive and on top of that you get a warranty on your hood and the best customer service in the industry!
If you fancy a chat about getting your new car hood fitted, then just give us a call on 020 8391 5324 or 5326. We are a friendly team, who want to help fill the world with one beautiful car hood at a time.
You would think being the replacement convertible roof business that winter is a quiet time for us?
Wrong! Although things do slow down a little we find that many of our customers don’t want to go into Winter with a hood that’s past its best. So we thought we would let you know about our booking procedures for getting your soft top replaced.
So here’s how it works…
- You can make a booking by emailing email@example.com or calling us on 020 8391 5326 / 5324 and we will give you the total price, availability and timescale to replace your soft top.
- Our booking times between October to March are approximately 1-2 weeks and between April to September 2-3 weeks. Most soft tops take around 4 hours to fit but models such as Mercedes, Jaguar and Saab can take a whole day but we can advise you of the timescales when you contact us.
- Once your booking has been made we make sure your new soft top is allocated for the date of your booking, we will also contact you 1-2 days prior to your booking to confirm everything’s in place.
- Before we remove the old soft top we check the car over for any issues such as perished seals, handles etc and we will advise you accordingly.
- Once the job is completed we will contact you to collect your vehicle or you are welcome to collect the next day if this is more convenient for you, we have a secure unit with 24-hour security.
- Your keys are locked away securely until you arrive and we provide an information card which tells you all you need to know about maintaining your new soft top.
- We are confident that you will be happy with your new soft top and if you get the time we would be grateful for feedback via our Facebook page via email!
So if you are thinking about replacing your soft top this winter why not give us a call? 020 8391 5326 or 5324.
Having recently fitted our 17th Jaguar XJS car hood this year, we were understandably a little bit excited about this one: a Jaguar Lister “Le Mans” convertible, that came in needing a new hood.
This sports version of the traditional XJS chassis was designed by Lister and is considered to be a bit of a “hot ticket” car, with some of the early 90s versions selling in excess of £150,000.
The rarity of this car did not deter the Car Hood team and we applied our usual diligence and passion for convertible cars. Here’s how we did it:
Day 1: Our windscreen specialist removes the rear window. This part is only available from Jaguar therefore it is very important that this part of the process is done carefully!
Day 2: Our “hood team” stripped off the old hood and headliner, attended to any seized joints and bolts, lubricated the frame, refurbished the internal padding, then fitted the new Haartz mohair soft top and reinforced foam back material headliner.
Day 3: Our windscreen specialist is back on the job bonding the rear window back in. Et viola! Good as new…
The job was done in three days for only £1,150 including VAT.
If you have a rare, classic, high value sports or American car you need a new hood for then please get in touch with us.
Call us on 0208 391 5324 / 5326 or use our contact form.
We love the classics and the Mercedes E-Class is no exception.
Check out these before and after pictures of a blue mohair hood we supplied and fitted recently including a brand new headliner for just £1200. We hope you’ll agree it looks as good as new!
If you have a classic Mercedes Benz you want to get out into the fast-approaching sun – take a look at our prices for replacing a range of Merc hoods.
For information about the other makes and models we manufacture, supply and fit car hoods for, click here.
If you would like to know more about our car hoods then please get in touch on 0208 391 5324 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.